By Astrid De Souza, “The Exercise Girl”
It has definitely been an interesting few weeks. I’m sure that you, like many, have gone through a wealth of emotions during this uncertain time. Are you or your kids feeling frustrated from having to be inside so much? I’m sure there are a lot of questions about when things will return to “normal.”
I have taken this opportunity to slow down and to make the best of this unique situation. I have tried to be really good to my body by doing something active every day, which has also been good for my mental health.
What are you and your family doing to try to stay active during this time? Public health guidelines recognize the importance of exercise during this time. We just need to take the necessary precautions.
Here are some ideas to be active that may work for your family:
- Could you start your day with a kid-friendly mindful meditation?
- How about some yoga? Cosmic Kids Yoga was suggested to me by a little seven-year-old I know!
- Have you heard of The Body Coach TV? Maybe try it as a family.
- What about movement breaks? After every hour of sitting, can everyone get up and do 10 jumping jacks? Five star jumps? Hold a 20-second plank? Try the 5 Minute Move Kids Workout!
- How about a family activity after school/work? A walk? Family bike ride? Scootering? Skateboarding? All of these things can be done at a safe distance from other people.
- Many school grounds are still open. The playgrounds may be closed, but there is lots of open space for different activities. Can you take out an old badminton set? Fly a kite? Kick a soccer ball around? The possibilities are endless!
Go outside, be creative, and have some fun! Remember to stay home if you have any symptoms, physically distance yourself from others when you are outside (stay two metres apart), and wash your hands when you come home.